Carraig Fhada, the square lighthouse, is a famous landmark on Islay and a welcoming sign for visitors entering the Isle of Islay by ferry at Port Ellen. The lighthouse was commissioned in 1832 by Walter Frederick Campbell in memory of Lady Ellenor Campbell. Building construction was undertaken by David Hamilton & son, who was the foremost architect in the west of Scotland for a half century until his death in 1843. They also built the marble casket for Ellenor which lies in Bowmore Round Church. The building was taken over by the Northern Lighthouse board as an unmanned light in 1924 and converted to propane gas operation in 1963.
City Port Ellen
Country United Kingdom