This page covers lighthouses of western Scotland, including all of the Argyll and Bute Council area. This includes the southern half of the Inner Hebrides islands plus a a large section of the mainland, notably the Kintyre and Cowal peninsulas.
The Northern Lighthouse Board, established by an act of Parliament in 1786, manages the major lighthouses of Scotland and the Isle of Man. For five generations, engineers of the Stevenson family created for the Board a network of elegant and durable lighthouses famous around the world. Most of these lighthouses remain in service today.
Most Scottish lighthouses are accessible by road or hiking trail, but only a few are open for climbing. Travelers in this region, especially the western part, will find Scottish Gaelic in frequent use. The Scottish Gaelic phrase for a lighthouse is taigh solais; eilean is an island, sgeir is a skerry or rock, and rubha or àird is a cape or promontory.
Country United Kingdom